TIPS FOR GENERAL STUDIES
- Read newspapers and magazines carefully, which will expand your knowledge base and give good command and writing skill.
- Preparation for General studies should be done hand in hand while preparing for optional papers.
- NCERT books should be studied carefully and newspapers like The Hindu and magazines such as Frontline.
- Trend nowadays has shifted more towards current issues, hence a thorough awareness of recent events/happenings is mandatory.
- In the Prelims, though the General Studies carries only 150 marks, all the candidates are required to solve the same questions, hence, this paper assumes enormous importance, as anyone spoiling this paper cannot have any chance of qualifying for the Mains stage of the examination.
- Other than the syllabus given, questions on planning, budgeting, developmental programmes, latest issues of political and constitutional importance, Panchayati Raj, electoral reforms, natural resources, culture, growth of nationalism, committees, commissions etc can be expected almost every year.
- Emphasis is normally placed on the general aspects of the subjects, which every educated person aspiring to join the civil services is expected to know.
- The General Studies paper needs special and thorough preparations and does not need to be over-emphasised.
- In General Studies, other than current affairs, each and every aspect is covered in our school syllabi. Whatever one has studied upto Class XII is only asked in General Studies. The only thing which is different is that it has an application but the basic is from our school textbook only. A good, bright student who understood the basic concepts during his/her school studies will definitely be strong in General Studies too.
- Those who would like to appear for Civil Services should have a strong base, which will make them easy to follow the subjects.
- Exhaustive study of each subject and every aspect of the General Studies is essential.
- An important point is efficient time management and proper planning. The time available with the candidates for preparations is limited and hence has to be intelligently utilized.
<< Previous Tips